To participate in the STARTS Prize, you must register online and submit all mandatory information online. A submission is complete and formally entered in the competition only if all information has been entered online and the submission has been finalized online. An entry confirmation will be sent out via e-mail as soon as all required documentation has been received.
The STARTS Prize open call starts on January 10th, 2018 and will end on March 2nd, 2018.
- Start Online Submission: January 10th, 2018
- Online Submission Deadline: March 2nd, 2018 (11:59 PM, CET)
- Projects can be submitted both to the STARTS Prize and a Prix Ars Electronica category.
- An artist may submit more than one work.
- Entrants are requested not to submit irreplaceable originals since submitted materials cannot be returned.
- If your entry is awarded a prize, your material will be used for the catalog, DVD (CD) and the Prix Ars Electronica website or any communication purpose from Ars Electronica, BOZAR, Waag Society or the European Union (see Rights), so we ask you to prepare your picture and text material carefully.
- If you send in additional material pertaining to your submission via post, please mail it by the submission deadline (date of postmark is determinative) to:
Ars Electronica Linz GmbH & Co KG
4040 Linz, Austria
Code: STARTS Prize
- Works can be nominated online for prize consideration in the individual competition categories until March 2, 2018.
- Public nominations are recommendations; thus, nominated projects are not automatically entered in the competition. The nominated artists will be contacted by the organizer before the jury convenes. Projects must then be formally submitted by the artists themselves prior to the entry deadline and in accordance with all competition criteria in order to be entered in the competition.
- Jury sessions
(April 19–23, 2018)
All entries will be judged by a jury of experts in the order of their arrival. In addition to the works entered by participants, each jury may also nominate other works. The jury members will be announced by Ars Electronica. The jury’s decision is final.
Winners of the STARTS Prize will be notified by beginning of June at the latest. (Ars Electronica only sends out notifications if the project is selected for a prize.) In the interest of all entrants, we request that the entrant (or a representative named by him/her) be available during the period when winners will be notified at the address etc. specified on the entry form.
The winning artist(s) will receive prize money of €20,000. This amount is to be paid by direct bank deposit, after the Festival Ars Electronica 2018 and upon presentation of an invoice stating “Prize Money STARTS Prize 2018”. This is the only method by which Ars Electronica can transfer funds. The prize money can be paid as a net amount only if, approximately one week prior to the exhibition, Ars Electronica is provided with the original signed form ZS-QU1 (ZS-QU2 for legal entities); officially confirmed from the foreign tax authorities. Without this confirmation, Ars Electronica will be unable to pay the fee as a net amount and under international tax laws will have to retain 20% withholding tax (subject to any change in the rate of tax).
- Awards Ceremony and Symposium
Winners of the STARTS Prize must make a commitment to accept their awards in person at the award ceremony and to present their works at the STARTS Prize Forum, an artists’ symposium. Groups and institutions are requested to nominate a representative to fulfill this commitment.
If the submitted work is selected and honored by the jury the artist is committed to present the submitted work at the Ars Electronica Festival 2018 as well as at BOZAR Electronic Arts Festival 2018.